Breast reduction surgery (also called Reduction Mammaplasty) is a procedure that removes fat, tissue, and skin from the breasts to create smaller, firmer breasts. Breast reduction surgery has one of the highest patient satisfaction rates of all cosmetic surgeries.
It is often covered by insurance since it is a procedure that can reduce symptoms associated with large breasts, such as back and neck pain.
You may be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery if you experience:
- back or neck pain on a consistent basis that is a result of your large breast size
- one of your breasts is abnormally different in size than the other breast
- you are restricting your physical activity due to your large breasts
- you have significant skin irritation underneath your breasts
- your breasts are disproportionately larger than the rest of your body and you have large, pendulous breasts with downward-pointing nipples.
Breast reduction surgery removes excess fat, tissue and skin thru a series of incisions. The size of the incisions depends on how much tissue and skin needs to be removed. Stitches are usually removed at around 7-10 days post-operatively and patients are able to return to work within about a week.
Women who undergo breast reduction surgery tend to be pleased with their results as the surgery allows for a more proportional breast size to the rest of your body and helps to minimize neck and back pain. Aesthetically, the breasts have a better shape and are firmer and more elevated and patients tend to look better in and out of clothing.
Breast reduction surgery is also performed in men and is known as gynecomastia, or enlarged male breasts. The procedure removes excess fat and glandular tissue to restore a flatter, firmer and more masculine contour to the chest.
Our fellowship-trained and Board-Certified plastic surgeons at American Lipo Centers have decades of experience in performing breast reduction surgeries with excellent outcomes. We will work with you to help obtain insurance coverage for this procedure. Call 1-877-860-7927 today for a free consultation.